Gordon flunked integrity check for CONCACAF president

first_img WARNER’S INDICTMENT FIFA says Gordon Derrick, the general secretary of the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association, has failed an integrity check and won’t be allowed to run for president of CONCACAF, the sport’s regional governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean. Domenico Scala, chairman of FIFA’s audit and compliance committee, said in a statement yesterday that Derrick had been disqualified, but added that “for privacy reasons, we are not in a position to go into further details.” Derrick also is president of the Caribbean Football Union. In November 2011, FIFA’s ethics committee gave Derrick a reprimand and fined him 300 Swiss francs (then US$328) as part of sanctions announced for “apparent violations” of its ethics code that occurred at a CFU meeting on May 10-11 that year. Football officials were alleged to have been offered or to have received $40,000 cash payments there during Mohamed bin Hammam’s campaign for FIFA president. FIFA did not specify the violation Derrick committed. CONCACAF’s president is automatically a FIFA vice-president and member of FIFA’s ruling executive committee, which is being renamed the FIFA council. The disqualification leaves Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani and Bermuda Football Association president Larry Mussenden as the only candidates. Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, CONCACAF’s president from 1983-2011, was indicted by a US grand jury in New York City last May on charges of racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering conspiracy and money laundering. He is fighting extradition. He was succeeded by Jeffrey Webb, who headed CONCACAF from 2012 until he was indicted last May. He pleaded guilty November 23 to racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy, and agreed to forfeit more than $6.7 million. Alfredo Hawit of Honduras replaced Webb and was indicted in November. He pleaded guilty on Monday to two counts of wire fraud conspiracy and one count each of racketeering conspiracy and conspiracy to obstruct justice. CONCACAF said Luis Hernandez of Cuba and John Krishnadath were running for FIFA council member from the Caribbean, and Pedro Chaluja of Panama was running unopposed for council member for the Caribbean. Sonia Bien-Aime of Turks and Caicos, elected as the Caribbean’s member of the FIFA executive committee last July, is running for CONCACAF’s female member of the new council against Joanne Salazar of Trinidad and Tobago.last_img read more

Woman takes ‘cross’ issue into her own hands to remember those who died

first_imgA woman who was so angry at 17,000 white crosses being put up on a roadway by the NO campaign in the abortion referendum that she literally took it into her own hands to change it. Donegal woman Taryn De Vere was outraged after dozens of pro-life campaigners spent hours erecting the crosses along the 30kms of roadway from Letterkenny to Bridgend.So she went out and tried to change the message sent out by the crosses. Many motorists were left shocked by the cross campaign, which is understood to symbolise the lives of children.But pro-choice campaigner Taryn De Vere decided something needed to be done to remember the women who died as a result of the abortion situation in Ireland.So she went out and wrote the names of many of the women associated with the abortion controversy including Savita Halappanavar, Ann Lovett, Michelle Harte and Bimbo Onanuga.Taryn said she has written these names to symbolise the many women of Ireland whose lives have been affected by the 8th amendment. “I was really upset that so much work had gone into suppressing my and other women’s rights,” she said.“Those women were actual people, with friends and family not abstract concepts. The No campaign keeps erasing women from their messaging, they want us to imagine that the women of Ireland will go on a murdering spree if there isn’t legislation to stop us. It’s offensive and wrong.“The 8th has caused the death of several women and harmed hundreds of thousands of women but those women do not seem to matter to No campaigners.”“I was so upset I was shaking when I was writing the names on. A car stopped to ask me what the crosses were about, I told them what I was doing. They thought the crosses were disgusting and they expressed support for what I was doing,” Taryn said.Donegal County Council confirmed today that they would remove crosses in certain areas “that are causing a hazard to either pedestrians or road users.” Woman takes ‘cross’ issue into her own hands to remember those who died was last modified: May 22nd, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more