St George’s College mourns – ISSA responds to student’s death

first_img “I know this is really going to take a toll. I have been touching base with some of the principals, and we are looking to get to St George’s tomorrow (today) to share, and I am trying to get the Ministry (of Education) to bring in a few of their counsellors because it’s going to be a very tough moment for everyone, therefore, we are going to make all efforts to ensure people are there to offer some support,” added Small. Still, the fact that James was taken to hospital in his father’s vehicle has again raised questions about the inadequate medical support at local schoolboy football games. “We are aware. For example, we know there are a lot of matches being played in this round, and even if you are to get all the ambulances in Jamaica at the venues, we would not have enough ambulances, therefore, what we encourage the schools to do is to make arrangements with the nearest hospital or medical facility,” said Small. “When we get to the second round when ISSA takes over (the running of each game), because these (first round) matches are in the ambit of the schools, we ensure that we have ambulances where possible,” Small said. “At this level, it is impossible to have each school having an ambulance at the field since we are playing so many matches.” The executive of the Inter Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) is expected to meet today to discuss the way forward, after yesterday’s sudden death of St George’s College student Dominic James during a Manning Cup football match. James, who was the team’s captain, collapsed approximately four minutes into yesterday’s game against Excelsior High at Stadium East and was later pronounced dead at the University Hospital of the West Indies. ISSA President Dr Walton Small, who expressed shock and sadness at the youngster’s passing, sought also to explain why there was no ambulance stationed at the venue and noted that the next set of Manning Cup fixtures might be suspended, while the executive looks to ensure sufficient support for those affected by the tragedy. “We want to express condolences to the family. I also want to express condolence to the St George’s family, it’s really a shock, and we are all in mourning at this moment,” Small told The Gleaner yesterday afternoon. “We (ISSA executive) were supposed to meet on Thursday, but I am looking to call an emergency meeting tomorrow (today). “I have not yet spoken to my peers, but there might be a moment of silence at the upcoming matches. We will look at postponing the next set of Manning Cup matches, but again, I have not yet spoken to the executive,” added Small. COUNSELLING FOR STUDENTSlast_img read more

Ross H. MacLean Flyers emerge as Peewee champs

first_imgIn game two, the Flyers, playing on home ice, came out with a purpose and scored early, courtesy of Connor Bowie. Max Dobson and Jayden Greyeyes also added first period goals, concluding the opening frame with the hometown Peewee team with a 3-0 lead.Despite a scoreless second period, there was plenty of action for Flyers goaltender Kale Goulet, who made a number of big saves to maintain the home team’s three goal lead.Halfway through the third, Valleyview scored their first goal of the game, cutting the Flyers’ lead to 3-1.However, the Vipers were unable to score again, thanks in large part to a solid defensive effort from the Flyers, which paid off with seven minutes remaining, as Wagner and Craig-Steele combined to score a short-handed beauty, securing the Ross H. MacLean All Peace Championship.Advertisement Following a championship winning season with a record 30 wins, 12 losses and 4 ties, the Peewee Flyers will represent the Energetic City as the B.C. Provincial Championships in Salmon Arm next week. In Saturday’s game one on the road, the Flyers got the ever important first goal, as Aiden Craig-Steele scored seven minutes into the game. Two minutes later, the lead was extended to 2-0, as Reid Jacobs fired in a goal from the point.With three minutes left in the first period, the lead was cut in half, as the Vipers’ persistence paid off, scoring to make it 2-1 following the first period of play.In the second, the Flyers restored their two goal lead, as Craig-Steele finished off a three way passing play, scoring his second of the game for the 3-1 Fort St. John lead.- Advertisement -The score remained 3-1 until the halfway point of the third, when some sustained Vipers pressure paid off with a goal, producing a nail biting finish with the scoreboard now reading 3-2.However, up to the challenge was Flyers goaltender Cameron Smethurst, who stood tall throughout a flurry of Valleyview pressure, making countless saves to preserve the one goal game, including a clutch breakaway save.His forwards returned the favour with three minutes remaining, as Isaac Wagner scored to produce the 4-2 game one final.Advertisementlast_img read more