Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf BLOG: PA Schools Lost Out This Year Due to Irresponsible GOP Budget Budget News, Education, Schools That Teach, The Blog Let’s set the record straight.If Republicans in the legislature had supported Governor Wolf’s 2015-16 budget proposal — instead of continuing the status quo of underfunding schools and passing tax burdens on to local homeowners — nearly all of the commonwealth’s 500 districts would have received more state funding this year (over $202 million to be exact). You can view by district here (PDF).For Republicans to push around their plan in comparison to the governor’s plan — comparing dollar amounts — they conveniently ignore the fact that their budget resulted in a net cut to our schools. They also fail to acknowledge the reality of the devastation they were complicit in causing five years ago when $1 billion was cut from education, disproportionately affecting the poorest school districts.Many of those districts have not had their funding restored. In fact, the Republican plan would have taken money back that had already been allocated from some of the poorest districts.The governor also has been pushing for a fair funding formula to end Pennsylvania’s inequitable distribution of education dollars — one of the most inequitable in the country. The new fair funding formula, which the governor begins to implement in this round of school funding distribution, cannot truly be fair unless the cuts are fully restored. Currently, only four percent of districts have seen their funding restored to 2010-11 levels and we are currently over $370 million short from getting all 500 districts to that point.Governor Wolf remains hopeful that Republicans in the legislature will get to work on a 2016-17 budget that not only makes these schools whole again, but begins to truly invest in education at all levels. By: Jeff Sheridan, Press Secretary April 12, 2016 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
TVNZ 24 June 2012Child, Youth and Family has apologised to a Taranaki woman for placing her with a convicted rapist when she was 16. The woman, who is now 27, was under CYFS care while completing a youth court supervision order, but the organisation admits it did not vet the man they placed her with. She now lives with HIV and the knowledge that she has passed the virus on to one of her sons. “I thought that (vetting) was one of the first things they were meant to do and if they had it would’ve popped up with his history,” the woman, known as ‘Joanne’, told Marae Investigates . “There’s no way someone with that history should get care of a child, no way,”…However, in a statement to Marae Investigates the Deputy Chief Executive of Social Development David Shanks admits CYFS let Joanne down, and has apologised. “In 2001 it wasn’t mandatory for CYF staff to do criminal checks around family placement decisions made at youth justice family group conferences. This was a gap in CYF policy,” he said in a statement. “Staff at the time were still, however, expected to assess the caregiver’s suitability. In hindsight it appears we didn’t do a good enough job around this and we let (Joanne) down.” Shanks went on to explain the “gap” in policy has since been closed. “Early this year it became mandatory to do criminal checks for these placements. A range of other safety checks are now also required including home visits.”http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/cyf-apologises-placing-teen-rapist-4943382