A trustee of Mangueshi Temple in South Goa stirred controversy on Monday by denying access to a wheelchair-bound girl from Mumbai.The Disabilities Rights Association of Goa (DRAG) has demanded action against the trustee and forwarded the complaint lodged by the girl’s parents to the Superintendent of Police (South) and the Collector of South Goa. The girl’s mother, Subhada Keskar, said the temple committee member, Anil Kenkre, prevented her daughter, Sanika Keskar, from entering the temple as its rules denied access to ‘vehicles’.‘Outright discrimination’The complaint said: “Anil Kenkre told us we were not invited and welcome inside the temple. This is outright discrimination and abuse of the right of a physically challenged person. The action is a criminal offence under Section 92 (a) of the Rights of Persons with Disability Act, 2016.” It further said that the trustee also violated Sanika’s right to worship, “which is a fundamental right under the Constitution of India.” The parents requested authorities to immediately register a criminal case against Mr. Kenkre under relevant sections of the Rights of Persons with Disability Act, 2016 and the Indian Penal Code.The DRAG also wrote to the Collectors of North Goa and South Goa, and the State Disability Commissioner requesting them to direct all heads of religious places of worship in their jurisdiction to ensure that the elderly and persons with disabilities are not denied entry citing aids and appliances used for their mobility. The DRAG also asked the authorities to ensure within six months that places of worship are made disabled-friendly as mandated under the Act.Meanwhile, Mr. Kenkre denied the allegations. He said, “I don’t exactly remember the details of our conversation. We never deny permission to any person to enter the temple and pray. I only informed them that there is no facility to allow the wheelchair into the temple. It would be incorrect to say that we denied them access to the temple.”Mr. Kenkre admitted that the temple was not disabled-friendly, but that had never stopped “persons with disabilities from coming to the temple and nobody has ever had any issues in entering it.”‘An attitude problem’Anuradha Joshi, State Disability Commissioner, confirmed on Monday that she had received the complaint and would visit the temple on Tuesday to probe the matter. Avelino de Sa, president of DRAG, said that an online petition demanding justice for Sanika had garnered over 2,200 signatures by Monday evening.Mr. de Sa said, “The issue at hand is not one of lack of infrastructure, but an attitude problem of the temple trustee. This is evident from his statements such as ‘we have not invited you to the temple’ and ‘the wheelchair cannot be allowed in as it is a vehicle’.”
Pre-selection for the Overseas Employment Programme, administered by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, will be held between June 26 and July 17.This programme provides opportunities for hundreds of Jamaicans on Canadian and American farms yearly.Recruitment for the programme is done based on the needs of employers.The last recruitment was done in 2015 and resulted in a pool of approximately 3,000 persons from which to select.To ensure successful placement in the programme, persons must satisfy a number of requirements. Candidates must:• Be between 21 and 45 years old• Possess a Tax Registration Number (TRN) and a National Insurance Scheme (NIS) number• Possess a valid passport• Be literate• Have not been refused a visa in the last year by the Canadian or United States of America authorities• Not have been previously deported from any country• Possess no criminal recordApplication forms are available through several avenues, including Members of Parliament, mayors and councillors, the Ministry’s parish offices, civic organisations, trade unions and agricultural schools.After the forms have been completed and submitted to the Ministry, they are processed and then interviews are scheduled islandwide.Normally, four locations are visited across the country – 110-114 East Street in Kingston; Mandeville, Manchester; Montego Bay, St. James and St. Ann.Director of Manpower Services in the Ministry, Andrea Miller Stennett, explains to JIS News that after the interview stage, candidates are put in a pool for placement.“They are then required to submit a police record before they do a medical examination. If the candidates are found to be in good health, they are placed with an employer and then we call them to do biometric tests,” she outlines.They then fulfil the visa requirements for Canada or the United States, after which travel arrangements are made.Mrs. Miller-Stennett, however, cautions candidates that even if they have met the requirements outlined by the Ministry, there is no guarantee that they will be employed.“The Ministry cannot guarantee placement on any farm overseas, even if the candidates are successful with our processes, because there is a visa process that they have to go through where the Canadian and US authorities make a determination as to whether or not they are admissible,” she says.Approximately 375 farmworkers left the island for Canada in January. Last year, 15,611 workers participated in the Overseas Employment Programme. Of this figure, 8,934, or more than 50 per cent, went to Canada. This represented an increase of 844 new workers when compared with the same period in 2015.More information on the Overseas Employment Programme can be found on the Ministry’s website: www.mlss.gov.jm or by calling 922-9500-14. Story Highlights To ensure successful placement in the programme, persons must satisfy a number of requirements. Recruitment for the Overseas Employment Programme, administered by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, will be held between June 26 and July 17. Approximately 375 farmworkers left the island for Canada in January. Last year, 15,611 workers participated in the Overseas Employment Programme. Of this figure, 8,934, or more than 50 per cent, went to Canada. This represented an increase of 844 new workers when compared with the same p
1981Oregon State19.84.0Round of 32 1998Princeton11.3-4.8Round of 32 2008Memphis23.14.0Final 1996Texas Tech14.40.8Sweet Sixteen 1980DePaul14.34.2Round of 32 2012Syracuse21.37.2Elite Eight 1988Temple18.22.1Elite Eight 2004Stanford17.64.4Round of 32 1991UNLV31.62.7Final Four 2014Wichita State16.71.6TBD 2005Illinois24.47.4Final 1986Bradley9.51.9Round of 32 1984North Carolina24.58.4Sweet Sixteen 2012Murray State8.3-3.5Round of 32 1996Massachusetts20.68.1Final Four 2012Kentucky24.56.9Champion 1996Kentucky31.49.2Champion 1982DePaul15.22.5Round of 32 Wichita State — with 34 wins and zero losses heading into the men’s NCAA basketball tournament — is six wins from becoming the first undefeated champion since Indiana in 1976. But apparently perfect isn’t good enough. Critics have pointed to the team’s soft schedule and argued that the next six wins will be much harder to come by than the first 34, even though the selection committee awarded the Shockers the No. 1 seed in the Midwest region.This critique of Wichita State’s achievements is unfair. The Shockers’ real problem isn’t whom they played, it’s how much they won by. The team didn’t dominate its opponents enough to make up for the weakness of its schedule relative to those of big-conference rivals.The evidence against Wichita State’s credentials goes like this: It played two-thirds of its games against fellow Missouri Valley Conference teams; the conference is the 11th strongest in Division I, according to Sports-Reference.com. The Shockers’ schedule was the 129th toughest in the nation, and the weakest among the top 32 teams in Ken Pomeroy’s rankings.Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall reasonably responded, after winning No. 34: “We’re not flawless. Our record is flawless.”Indeed, no team is flawless, but Wichita State approached that impossible standard more closely than most do. Its schedule strength was inherently limited by its conference, yet it holds up well compared to other teams with records nearly as spotless.I looked at every Division I team since 1980 that entered its conference tournaments with either one or zero losses — 25 teams in all. I used Sports Reference’s Simple Rating System (SRS) to estimate each team’s strength at the end of the season, as well as the site’s strength of schedule (SOS) ratings to analyze each team’s schedule. I then subtracted from those figures each team’s performance in the NCAA tournament to get its pre-tournament ratings. The Shockers’ accomplishment looks impressive even after considering schedule strength. Six of the 25 teams had weaker schedules than Wichita State’s, but just one managed to match its undefeated feat: UNLV in 1990-91. And the Runnin’ Rebels’ schedule was just barely tougher than Wichita State’s this year, by a slender margin of 1.1 points per game.This rosy take on Wichita State doesn’t make its task any easier in the tournament. Just eight of those 25 teams reached the Final Four, and only two won the title: Kentucky in 1996 and again two years ago. Moreover, all eight Final Four teams entered the tournament with an SRS above 20; Wichita State’s is 16.7. The Shockers outscored their opponents by 15 points per game — good but not impressive enough against its schedule to look like a championship contender. Their projected Sweet Sixteen opponent, Louisville, has an SRS of 25.3 and outscored opponents on its relatively tough schedule by 21 points per game.This isn’t to say the Shockers can’t win it all. They can. But if you’re looking for a reason to doubt them, their margin of victory is a better cause than their schedule. 1987UNLV23.15.3Final Four YearTeamSRSSOSFinished 1999Duke35.19.7Final 1990La Salle13.1-2.2Round of 32 1981DePaul15.92.6Round of 32 2006George Washington9.6-1.4Round of 32 1980Alcorn State11.0-6.3Round of 32 1997Kansas27.68.0Sweet Sixteen 2004St. Joseph’s20.23.9Elite Eight
Real Madrid defender Marcelo revealed that Isco turned down the opportunity to skipper the side in their disastrous 3-0 home defeat to CSKA MoscowIn the absence of Sergio Ramos on Wednesday night, Marcelo captained Real in his first appearance for the club since November 27.But the Brazilian’s return from injury proved to be a forgettable one with Real suffering a humiliating 3-0 defeat to CSKA at the Santiago Bernabeu.In the 74th minute of the game, Marcelo was substituted for Dani Carvajal and immediately offered the captain’s armband to Isco.However, the Spain international instead turned down the honour and insisted that Marcelo give the armband to Carvajal instead.“I tried to give the armband to Isco [when I came off for Dani Carvajal],” said Marcelo, according to AS.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“But he told me that I had to give it to Carvajal. I don’t know what the reason for that was.”Isco then later went to confront the discontent Real supporters at the Bernabeu after their biggest European home defeat.“I didn’t see Isco’s reaction,” added Marcelo.“But I don’t think it was against the fans. We’re here to give our all for this club. We’re really hurting, but all we can do is recover and focus on the weekend.”Isco made his second start in Real’s past three games on Wednesday after previously struggling to get back into the team.
Updated: 5:45 PM Sasha Foo, Sasha Foo Judge says progress is evident in reuniting immigrant families July 20, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, National & International News, Trending FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — In less than a week, the federal government must meet a judge’s deadline to try to reunite 2,551 children with their parents.In a hearing on Friday afternoon, the second one this week, U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw reviewed the latest figures submitted by the government, as it attempts to comply with a July 26 deadline.450 families out of the more than 2,500 have been reunified, so far.As of Friday morning, 954 have received the green light for reunification.In the latest hearing, the judge offered some praise, and said it appears the process to reunite children with their parents is working.Earlier this week, the judge imposed a temporary halt to deporting the newly reunited families, at the request of the American Civil Liberties Union.The ACLU had asked the judge for a seven day period between the time a family is reunited and the time a parent is deported, giving parents the time to talk to their child and decide if the child will remain in the United States to seek asylum.More than 700 parents are in that group. In arguing for a seven day period before a parent is deported, ACLU Attorney Lee Gelernt said “These parents may only have a matter of days to make the momentous decision whether to leave their child behind in the United States.”The next status hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, just two days before the final deadline of July 26. Posted: July 20, 2018
The gas tax has been met with mixed emotions from residents in the Anchorage area, with some racing to the pumps yesterday to fill their tanks prior to the new tax starting today. According to Mayor Berkowitz, each Anchorage resident will be paying roughly $35-$50 per year in gas tax. Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz said the fuel tax was proposed as a way to alleviate a heavy reliance on property taxes in Anchorage. The gas tax was proposed by the Budget Advisory Commission in Anchorage, and then was approved by the Anchorage Assembly in November of 2017. Story as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-anchorage-gas-tax.mp3VmJennifer-on-anchorage-gas-tax.mp300:00RPd The proposal submitted by the chairman of the Budget Advisory Commission, Al Tamagni, said the proposed tax would generate about $14-million a year and that the commission recommends that 100 percent of that be used for property tax relief. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Drivers passing through the Anchorage area will be faced with paying an extra 10 cents per gallon at the pump starting today.
The FAA announced they will award $495 million in airport infrastructure grants, the second allotment of the total $3.18 billion in Airport Improvement Program (AIP) funding for airports across the United States. Kenai City Manager Paul Ostrander: “The release that stated that their was a $1.2 million dollar grant for repair of the airport runway was actually an original request that the city made. The actual project which the city appropriated money for on June 5 with the council is for a project that is $783,000.” Facebook0TwitterEmailThe Kenai Municipal Airport will receive a $1.2 million grant from the Federal Aviation Administration, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao. The release states the grant will be utilized to to repair runways, aprons and taxiways. Ostrander: “The $1.2 million was the maximum amount of the grant, the work will be done for a lot less than that.” The project is expected to begin sometime in July, according to Ostrander. This project has nothing to do with the current airport terminal remodel.
Share LYNDA GONZALEZ / KUTThe gunman in a mass shooting at a Texas church last year told a military judge in 2012 that he “would never allow myself to hurt someone” again while confessing to abusing his stepson.The Air Force on Thursday released hundreds of court documents about former airman Devin Patrick Kelley, who killed more than two dozen people during a rampage in Sutherland Springs, Texas.Five years earlier, Kelley was convicted of assaulting family members while serving in the Air Force. He was sentenced to 12 months confinement and given a bad conduct discharge.Kelley told the judge he had a problem controlling emotions and that “seems to cause a lot of problems in my life.” His ex-wife wrote that Kelley choked her and pointed a gun at her twice.
The battery life is said to exceed 10 hours. The new platform will carry Intel Wireless Music, Wireless Display, PC Synch and Fast Boot technologies.So what is the specific problem causing the delay? LG Nilsson writing for VR-Zone says what is clear to him is that it is something fairly crucial, if Microsoft has determined that the drivers are not yet suitable for Windows 7. He said his best guess is that the glitch lies in media decoding.Whatever the reasons, some best guesses and relevant insider insights will converge next month over what happened, what’s next and which dates to watch, at the Intel Developer Forum from September 13 to 15. One vendor that certainly cares about Cedar Trail is computer-maker Asus, a key brand name in netbooks. Asus has confirmed its support for Intel’s Cedar Trail platform. The company presented at Computex the Asus Eee PC 1025, its first Cedar Trail netbook. The machine features a 10.1-inch (1024 x 600) display and will be powered by a 32nm Atom CPU (N2600 or N2800). The Eee PC 1025C runs Windows 7. Those familiar with the certification process reckon that submitting the drives for recertification, given the drivers’ complexity, will take some time. © 2011 PhysOrg.com Asus Eee PC Netbook 1000HG WiMAX Coming Soon (Video) (PhysOrg.com) — Intel has changed the launch date of its Cedar Trail-M platform that is targeted for netbooks from September to November. The reason for the delay is a problem with graphics drivers and failing certification for Windows 7. Cedar Trail is the code name being used for Intel’s next generation Atom chips built using the 32nm manufacturing node. A talking point over the Cedar Trail chipset has been that it represents the first netbook platform-based Intel 32nm technology. The platform is described as a unified architecture that packs the processing cores and the graphics processing unit on the same die. The graphics core includes support for DirectX 10.1 and hardware decoding capabilities for HD content, including MPEG2, VC1, AVC, H.264 and Blu-ray 2.0. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Explore further Citation: September launch for Intel Cedar Trail scrapped (2011, August 19) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2011-08-september-intel-cedar-trail-scrapped.html
Categories: Allor News Rep. Sue Allor of Wolverine has announced September office hours for Alcona, Alpena, Cheboygan, Iosco and Presque Isle counties.“Holding local office hours is a great opportunity for me to listen to people,” Rep. Allor said. “I invite residents to come and share their ideas and concerns regarding local and state government. I am here to help in any way I can.”The schedule for office hours is as follows:Monday, Sept. 11-10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Cabin Creek Coffee House, 201 N. Second Ave. in Alpena;-12:30 to 1:30 p.m. at The Flour Garden, 105 S. State St. in Harrisville; and-2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Big Boy Restaurant, 1222 E. US 23 in East Tawas.Friday, Sept. 15-10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Karsten’s Restaurant, 1072 W. 3rd St. in Rogers City; and-1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at The Thirsty Sturgeon, 11900 Scott Road in Wolverine.Residents also may contact Allor at her Lansing office at (517) 373-0833 or SueAllor@house.mi.gov.##### 06Sep Rep. Allor hosts September office hours