CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury on Tuesday questioned the decision of Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu to disqualify JD (U) rebels Sharad Yadav and Ali Anwar. Mr. Yechury questioned the alacrity with which the decision was arrived at by the Chairman without sending it to the parliamentary committee as has been the norm. “No one is questioning the right of the Chairman to decide the matter. But to help him come to an informed conclusion, these committees are there. The Ethics and Privileges committees are nominated exclusively by the Chairman to aid him,” Mr. Yechury said. Mr. Yechury has been member of both the Ethics and Privileges committees for the last 10 years. “According to my reading of the anti-defection rules, it is more to do with conduct in the House, this is not to say that outside conduct is excluded,” he added. He pointed out that since the break up of the Mahagatbandhan, there has been no Parliament session and therefore the question of impropriety on part of both Mr. Yadav and Mr. Ali did not arise. According to the Vice-President’s office, the decision not to send it to any parliamentary committee was made after analysing seven previous cases. They claimed that the Privilege committee did not do anything substantial. “It is an unfair comment and shows scant respect to established parliamentary norms. This is also against the eternal juridical principle that a person is innocent till proven guilty. To construe the due process as a delaying tactic is casting aspersion on the committees held so far,” he added.
zoom Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) is planning to cut its shipbuilding activities as the company decided to cease taking orders for large passenger ships, Nikkei newspaper cited undisclosed sources.The company reportedly opted for the move amid a plunge of 80 percent in new shipbuilding orders so far this year.Nikkei further reported that MHI would spin off its design and development division and share shipyards with other shipbuilders.After experiencing cost overruns in its cruise ship sector, the company decided to review its future position in the cruise shipbuilding industry, The Financial Times earlier said.MHI booked additional extraordinary loss of JPY 50.8 billion (USD 457.1 million) in its cruise ship business for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2015 due to the delay in delivery of German-based cruise line Aida Cruises’ two new cruise ships AIDAprima and AIDAperla, ordered from the shipbuilder in November 2011.The additional amount pushed MHI’s overall extraordinary losses throughout fiscal year 2015 to JPY 103.9 billion.World Maritime News Staff
VANCOUVER, B.C. – A new video has been released showing methane leaking from gas wells in the Montney Basin.In December, non-profit organization Earthworks and the Pembina Institute used optical gas imaging cameras to document methane leaking from polluting gas wells and other facilities.According to scientists, methane is a greenhouse gas that traps 84 times as much heat as carbon dioxide. It is invisible to the human eye but responsible for 25 percent of already observed changes to Earth’s climate. “With the release of the CleanBC climate plan this month, the government re-energized its global leadership on climate change. We trust that B.C. will apply that same ambition and strengthen the draft methane pollution framework to ensure industry is a responsible partner in the province’s climate plan.”Although there are strong elements to reduce reported and vented emissions, the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission’s draft regulatory framework would exempt 93 percent of sites from frequent leak detection and repair and 35 percent of sites from modern instrument-based inspection.The B.C. Government plans to finalize methane regulations in 2019.You can view the methane gas leak video below. The images of leaking methane come in the wake of the David Suzuki Foundation’s peer-reviewed research showing methane pollution from B.C.’s oil and gas industry is much higher than reported. According to the research, 47 percent of active oil and gas wells in the study area were found to emit methane-rich plumes.Jan Gorski, of Pembina Institute, says oil and gas projects release methane pollution into the atmosphere through intentional venting and unintentional leaks.“Oil and gas operations, including those that will supply future LNG projects, release methane pollution into the atmosphere through intentional venting and unintentional leaks. B.C.’s draft regulations do not address the full scale of the province’s methane pollution problem.”In early 2018, the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission said it would be developing new ways of monitoring methane emissions and implementing a fugitive emissions management program after a report from the David Suzuki Foundation confirmed the findings of a study released in 2017.The report suggests the regulations under development should include more frequent site inspections of oil and gas operations and stronger policies to address intentional methane venting.Ian Bruce, David Suzuki Foundation science and policy director, says the Foundation trusts that the Province strengthen the draft methane pollution framework to ensure the industry is a responsible partner in the province’s climate plan.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Canfor has announced another week of curtailments at it’s facility in Fort St. John.The operating curtailments will reduce production capacity by 75 million board feet between September 3 and the end of the year. Its Houston, Polar, Prince George and Fort St. John sawmills will be curtailed the week of September 3.In addition, Canfor’s Plateau and Houston mills will transition to a four-day work week in September, which will remain in effect until market and economic conditions support a return to the full operating schedule of five days per week. The curtailments are due to the ongoing low price of lumber and the high cost of fibre, which are making the operating conditions in BC uneconomic. These curtailments are in addition to all previously announced capacity reductions.
ALGIERS – One survivor was found on Tuesday from the crash of an Algerian military aircraft which had more than 100 people on board, an emergency services official told state radio.“We have found a survivor and the search continues,” Colonel Farid Nechad said, without giving further details.The C-130 Hercules aircraft, which crashed in the mountainous Oum El Bouaghi region in northeastern Algeria, was carrying 99 passengers — soldiers and their families — as well as four crew members, a security source told AFP. The source had said earlier that all on board had perished.The plane was travelling from the desert garrison town of Tamanrasset in the deep south to the city of Constantine, east of the capital, and lost contact with the control tower just as it was beginning its descent.Preliminary reports indicated that poor weather was to blame, with heavy snow and strong winds sweeping the region in recent days, according to national media.
Updated: 5:45 PM Sasha Foo, Sasha Foo Judge says progress is evident in reuniting immigrant families July 20, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News, National & International News, Trending FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — In less than a week, the federal government must meet a judge’s deadline to try to reunite 2,551 children with their parents.In a hearing on Friday afternoon, the second one this week, U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw reviewed the latest figures submitted by the government, as it attempts to comply with a July 26 deadline.450 families out of the more than 2,500 have been reunified, so far.As of Friday morning, 954 have received the green light for reunification.In the latest hearing, the judge offered some praise, and said it appears the process to reunite children with their parents is working.Earlier this week, the judge imposed a temporary halt to deporting the newly reunited families, at the request of the American Civil Liberties Union.The ACLU had asked the judge for a seven day period between the time a family is reunited and the time a parent is deported, giving parents the time to talk to their child and decide if the child will remain in the United States to seek asylum.More than 700 parents are in that group. In arguing for a seven day period before a parent is deported, ACLU Attorney Lee Gelernt said “These parents may only have a matter of days to make the momentous decision whether to leave their child behind in the United States.”The next status hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, just two days before the final deadline of July 26. Posted: July 20, 2018
Anyone interested in registering to vote or those who need to update their registration information, may do so in-person at one of the division’s offices or on DOE’s website. Voters can check their registration status online, viewing their voter registration cards or contacting DOE regional offices. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Eligible Alaska voters have until October 7 to make sure they are registered to vote or update their registration information in time for the upcoming November 6, General Election. State Elections Director Josie Bahnke: “We highly encourage voter participation in the General Election and ask all Alaskans to remind their friends, families and neighbors to register to vote now or double-check their registration information to make sure it reflects where they currently reside ahead of the statutory deadline.” The deadline to register to vote or update registration information for the General Election is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 7, 2018.
One of the few publishers to buck the trend and launch print this year—48-page Optometry Times in March of 2009—EVP Steve Morris is quick to downplay the role of print.“The reality is that we aren’t really excited about opening more print publications in this environment. Our strategy has clearly moved to digital with the launch of [online hub] modernmedicine.com.” The decision to launch was mostly due to its anticipated profitable gains “in print alone” and an “acceleration of event and online investments from our clients.”Morris and his team have done what so many have not in the current climate; taken a step back and listened to the market demands of its niche audience. After joining Advanstar in 2004 as a vice president of market development, he successfully reorganized this group into a more customer-focused and efficient sales organization, which led to expanded growth opportunities and increased revenue before moving to his current group in 2005.In the ophthalmology market, Advanstar sees 50 percent of its revenue from print and 50 percent from digital and events. Due to the similarity of its eye markets, Optometry Times called on the readership of Ophthalmology Times for a 33,000-controlled circ magazine. Since joining the company in 2004, Morris’ team has spearheaded major initiatives including the launch of modernmedicine.com, a portal and source for physicians, as well as provide a central content structure.An $8 million-plus franchise in 2008, Morris recognizes the importance of appealing to this total “eye” category through its preferred medium. “It was easy to make the decision to tap into optometry in print, the same as we are doing in events and digital. The optometry market is 33 percent larger in print than ophthalmology,” he says. “We are looking to grow that [$8 million] total over 15 percent this year in the face of a challenging market with this launch as a critical element of differentiation.”VITAL STATS: Advanstar is looking to grow its $8 million eye franchise over 15 percent in 2009.
Email Jack White’s ‘Boarding House Reach’ Reaches No. 1 News Twitter GRAMMY winner scores big with fans (and vinyl aficionados) on latest LPPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Apr 2, 2018 – 4:50 pm With a dozen career GRAMMY wins behind him, Jack White’s new album, Boarding House Reach, struck some critics as an experimental departure from what had worked for him in the past. As far as the fans’ take? Given the April 7 Billboard 200 album rankings, the result is resounding: White earned his third No. 1 LP on the strength of 121,000 “traditional album sales,” the most of any rock album in 2018 so far.In addition to topping the Billboard 200, the 27,000 “traditional album sales” that were of the vinyl format variety gives Boarding House Reach the distinction of netting the fourth largest sales week for vinyl since Nielsen started tracking.Boarding House … follows White’s previous solo efforts, 2012’s Blunderbuss and 2014’s Lazaretto. Both went to No. 1 and were nominated for GRAMMY Awards, with the song “Lazaretto” winning Best Rock Performance at the 57th GRAMMY Awards.In 2017 White garnered special recognition from the Recording Academy’s Producers & Engineers Wing in receiving the President’s Merit Award in celebration of his ongoing support for the art and craft of recorded music. As someone who helms his own music and produces for other artists, White still feels genuinely gratified by this acknowledgment.”I am very grateful [to the P&E Wing] to bestow upon me something like that. It was a nice pat on the back. It felt very nice,” White recently told KCRW-FM’s “Morning Becomes Eclectic.”With his latest accolade secure, White now turns his attention to taking Boarding House Reach on the road beginning April 19 in Detroit. He is also among the headliners for the 2018 installment of Lollapalooza. Catching Up On Music News Powered By The Recording Academy Just Got Easier. Have A Google Home Device? “Talk To GRAMMYs”Read more Facebook Jack White Reaches A No. 1 Trifecta jack-whites-boarding-house-reach-reaches-no-1
Share your voice Military Space Comments French Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly presents the government’s new plan Thursday. Emma Le Rouzic / Air Force While President Trump’s proposed US Space Force is held up on Capitol Hill, France’s military has its own plans to deploy weapons in space. French Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly on Thursday laid out the country’s new space defense strategy, which includes deploying satellites with the means of disabling other satellites that pose a threat.”If our satellites are threatened, we intend to blind those of our adversaries,” Parly said, according to AFP. “We reserve the right and the means to be able to respond: that could imply the use of powerful lasers deployed from our satellites or from patrolling nano-satellites.”Last year, France accused Russia of flying one of its satellites a little too close to a French bird to spy on secure military communications. Lieutenant Colonel Thierry Cattaneo explained that using lasers as a means of defense is preferable to destroying aggressor satellites and creating countless new pieces of hazardous debris in orbit. Earlier this month, French President Emmanuel Macron announced the creation of a new space command within the country’s Air Force, an approach the White House is also working to implement in the US. Sci-Tech Tags