The contract is the third one that the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has awarded Xoma to develop botulism antitoxins, the company said in a Sep 9 statement. In 2005 Xoma was among the first companies to receive a contract through Project BioShield, according to a previous report. Xoma reported that its NIAID contracts cover the development of human monoclonal antibody products targeting the three most toxic serotypes of botulinum toxin, types A, B,and E. The company also said these human antibody products are expected to be safer than existing animal-derived antibodies, which it said cause serious immune reactions in some patients and vary unpredictably in their efficacy. See also: Sep 11, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Xoma Ltd., a Berkeley, Calif., pharmaceutical company, recently announced that it received a $65 million multiyear federal contract to fund work on botulinum antitoxins, one of which it hopes to put through safety and efficacy tests starting in 2009. Clostridium botulinum, which produces botulinum toxin, a nerve poison, is among the category A agents that experts say bioterrorists would most likely try to use. However, most botulism cases are caused by tainted food or contaminated wounds. Sep 9 Xoma press release Steven Engle, Xoma’s chairman and chief executive officer, said in the statement that the contract shows the US government’s support of novel therapies that address natural, accidental, or intentional infections from pathogens and their toxins. “Since initiating its biodefense program in 2005, Xoma has used its innovative antibody technology to develop better and safe solutions,” he said. “We plan to continue working with the government’s biodefense development efforts toward future stockpiling initiatives.” Xoma said if studies show that the company’s first botulism antitoxin candidate is safe and effective and government funding continues, it would file the paperwork needed to produce the treatment for the Strategic National Stockpile. The new NIAID contract will cover the next 6 years of botulism antitoxin development, the company said. May 10, 2005, CIDRAP News story “NIAID awards first Project BioShield grants”
Kolkata, July 26: Former Indian football team captain and Dronacharya awardee coach Syed Nayeemuddin on Thursday said the All India Football Federation (AIFF) should “respect” the Indian Olympic Association’s (IOA) decision not to allow the national football team to participate in the coming Asian Games.”They must be having some problem for that reason they are not allowing,” Nayeemuddin told IANS on the sidelines of an event at the Calcutta Sports Journalists’ Club here.The AIFF, football’s parent body in the country, has expressed resentment over IOA’s snub at its executive committee meeting in Mumbai.The IOA, earlier this month, omitted the men and women’s football teams from the Asian Games contingent, stating they don’t stand a chance to win medals in the continental event to be held in Indonesian twin cities of Jakarta and Palembang.”The IOA must be thinking differently,” Nayeemuddin said when asked about the snub, despite India’s recent good showing under coach Stephen Constantine.”They want athletes to go there and become champions. We have to respect the decision. We have to take it sportingly,” said Nayeemuddin, who also at various points of time coached city soccer heavyweights Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Mohammedan Sporting.Nayeemuddin, who captained the Indian team to the bronze in the 1970 Asian Games, said present national squad skipper Sunil Chhetri and his boys should do well in the Asian Cup next year.”I think they will do well. We have a lot of expectations from them and I hope they will do well,” said the Arjuna awardee.Nayeemuddin, though, criticised the authorities for failing to give enough exposure to Indian coaches, and went to the extent of saying that though Constantine was good, he would like to see someone from the country guide the national team.”He is doing well and I respect him but my question is, why not our own coaches? We should give our coaches ample opportunity,” Nayeemuddin said. IANS
New Delhi: Rafael Nadal suffered his first clay-court defeat in almost a year after breaking McEnroe’s record when the world number one was shocked 7-5, 6-3 by Austria’s Dominic Thiem in the Madrid Masters quarter-finals.Defending champion Nadal, who has already claimed both Monte Carlo and Barcelona for an 11th time, saw his record 50-set winning streak on clay ended on Friday.Thiem, the runner-up to the great Spaniard in the 2017 Madrid final was also the last player to defeat Nadal on clay at the 2017 Italian Open in Rome — 357 days ago.The shock result also means that Roger Federer will reclaim the world number one ranking on Monday.Rafael said, “A player like Dominic has a lot of potential. Whenever he plays really well, it’s very difficult to stop him. He played well and I didn’t play well. We’re not playing a game where the differences are big or massive. The differences are very small’’.Five-time Madrid winner Nadal, who will be bidding for an 11th French Open title in Paris later this month, had won his previous 21 matches on clay.That run included him surpassing John McEnroe’s 1984 record of 49 sets won in succession on the same surface during his last-16 duel with Diego Schwartzman on Thursday.However, in their ninth career clash, Thiem put Nadal under pressure almost from the start on Friday and broke for a 4-3 lead in the first set.A double fault and a long forehand allowed Nadal to retrieve the break at 5-5.It was a brief reprieve as a lazy forehand volley gave Thiem a 6-5 advantage and the set came the Austrian’s way in the 12th game off an ace.Thiem, watched by his girlfriend — and WTA star — Kristina Mladenovic, turned the screw for a 3-1 lead in the second set but Nadal battled back to 3-3.That was as good as it got for the Spaniard as Thiem broke again for 4-3, held to love for 5-3 and secured victory with another blistering forehand.Thiem, who next faces South Africa’s Kevin Anderson for a place in Sunday’s final, joins Novak Djokovic and Gaston Gaudio as just the third man to have beaten Nadal three times on clay.”It takes a really good match to beat Rafa on clay. But I think a very important thing also was today that I went in with the attitude that I can beat him,” said Thiem.”Two weeks ago in Monte Carlo, he killed me love and two. It was very important I went in with a positive attitude, with an attitude to win. I should go into every match like this against him.”World number eight Anderson battled into his first Masters semi-final with a 7-6 (7/3), 3-6, 6-3 win over Serbian qualifier Dusan Lajovic.Anderson, the 31-year-old US Open runner-up last year, hit 15 aces and 35 winners.Canada’s Denis Shapovalov became the youngest player to reach the Madrid semi-finals with a 7-5, 6-7 (6/8) 6-4 win over Britain’s Kyle Edmund.The 19-year-old Shapovalov, ranked at 43 in the world, fired 29 winners past Edmund, a surprise semi-finalist at the Australian Open in January.Shapovalov, who had never won a clay-court match on the main tour before Madrid, will be playing in his second Masters semi-final where he will on Saturday face German second seed Alexander Zverev.Zverev defeated John Isner 6-4, 7-5 to gain revenge for his defeat to the American in the Miami Masters final in April.Zverev has now reached five Masters semi-finals in the last year.Dutchwoman Kiki Bertens continued her remarkable run at the Madrid Open by thrashing French seventh seed Caroline Garcia to reach the womens’ final.The world number 20 will face Petra Kvitova after brushing aside Garcia 6-2, 6-2.Bertens had already stunned world number two Caroline Wozniacki and five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova earlier in the week.Two-time Madrid champion Kvitova reached the final with a 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 win over Czech compatriot Karolina Pliskova.(With inputs from agencies) For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
The Celtics went on to seal a 133-77 thrashing at United Center, with the 56-point margin representing the worst loss in the Bulls’ history. A sullen Zach LaVine hinted Boylen had crossed the line between sending a message to the players and embarrassing them. “We put a lot of hard work into this. I get up, compete every day. I think regardless of whatever the score is, I want to go out there and compete, but obviously we didn’t get a chance to do that. I felt embarrassed. I wish I was out there competing,” LaVine said.Looking for a much different outcome this Monday.Game recap, brought to you by @CinkciarzPL: pic.twitter.com/tLcrCbI4iC— Chicago Bulls (@chicagobulls) December 9, 2018Boylen had no sympathy, however, directing a clear message to his starting five in his postgame news conference: “I think your play is embarrassing. Me subbing them is saving them, maybe. Maybe we saved them.”The pro player thing, this is basketball; this is about honoring the game and doing the right things.”Embarrassment is not giving the effort in that Bulls uniform, so I put five guys in that I thought could put the effort in. “I wanted to give the other guys a chance to see if they could right the ship a little bit. I’ve been a part of teams that have done that before; don’t like the five guys out here, don’t like that combination, look at a new combination, take them all out, let them sit there and think about it.”We didn’t honor the game very well with our effort and our competitiveness, so why not take them all out? We’re a team, so sub five guys and see what they can do.”They’re disappointed, they feel bad about it. We need some leadership to step up, we need some guys to take leadership roles on the team.” Jim Boylen twice subbed out all five starters because they were “embarrassing” as the Bulls suffered their heaviest defeat in franchise history to the Celtics. Boylen, who replaced Fred Hoiberg on Monday, changed his entire group on the floor with seven minutes and 15 seconds remaining in the opening period — then did so again with 21 minutes left in the match.