A temple and ashram in Uttar Pradesh’s Hamirpur district were “purified” and the idols in it cleansed with Ganga-water after a BJP woman MLA visited it.Local tradition bars women from entering the Dhurm Rishi temple. According to locals, Manisha Anuragi, a legislator from the reserved seat Rath, had visited the village Muskura Khurd on July 12 to attend a school function in her constituency. She also offered prayers at the local temple.Following her visit, the village residents called for a meeting, where they decided that the premises of the ashram would have to be “purified.” The idols were sent to Allahabad to get “purified” with the waters of the Sangam.“How could she be allowed to enter the temple. No woman has ever gone there,” a villager told journalists. The villagers believe that if a woman enters the temple, a natural calamity would befall them. They claimed that after the visit, they have stopped getting rainfall.Ms. Anuragi said she was hurt by the incident, calling it an “insult” to women.“There is no ban on women from entering any temple. There should not be any discrimination on the basis of gender,” said the first-time MLA.
Non-Muslims excluded from the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam would not immediately or directly benefit from the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, a senior Home Ministry official said.The comment by the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, comes as the Centre faces a backlash in the northeast, including in BJP-ruled Assam, over the Bill. Those vehemently opposed to the Bill fear that it would make it possible for the government to grant Indian citizenship mostly to illegal Hindu migrants from Bangladesh in Assam, who came after March 1971, in violation of the agreement of the Assam Accord, 1985. Almost 40 lakh people were excluded from Assam’s final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) that was published on July 30 last year. The NRC is a Supreme Court monitored exercise that was carried out in the backdrop of the Assam Accord. Almost 30 lakh of those excluded from the NRC have filed claims to be included in the list of citizens. Government officials would now examine these claims and the final NRC would be published later.The future of those people whose nationality was “indeterminate” was yet to be decided, the official said.“Those who will not make it to the final NRC, does not mean they will immediately get citizenship,” the official asserted. “There will be legal hurdles because in their application for NRC they claimed to be Indians. You cannot suddenly change your stand. There won’t be a blanket citizenship offer.”The Intelligence Bureau (IB) told a joint parliamentary committee on the Citizenship Bill that those who have come to India from the three countries under reference due to religious persecution but have not declared so at the time of their arrival in India “will have to prove that they came to India due to religious persecution, if they had not declared so at that time of their arrival in India.”The law seeks to grant Indian citizenship to members of six communities — Hindus, Christians, Parsis, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs — who came to India till December 31, 2014. It also reduces the mandatory requirement of 12 years stay in India to seven years to be eligible for citizenship if they do not possess any document.“The Bill is not only for Assam, it’s for the entire country. There are many people who came from the three countries due to religious persecution,” said the official.The official added that the application for citizenship would be approved only after the concerned State government cleared it.
NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Colin Kaepernick #7 and Eric Reid #35 of the San Francisco 49ers kneel in protest during the national anthem prior to playing the Los Angeles Rams in their NFL game at Levi’s Stadium on September 12, 2016 in Santa Clara, California. Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images/AFPFilm maker Spike Lee is backing a rally in support of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who provoked controversy last season by kneeling during the US national anthem to protest against injustice in America.According to a social media post by Lee on Tuesday, the “United We Stand” rally for Kaepernick, organized by several civil rights groups, will start at 5pm (2100 GMT) on August 23 outside the NFL headquarters on Park Avenue in New York City.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES NGCP on security risk: Chinese just technical advisers “I Did Not Organize And Set Up This Protest. However I Still Support My Brother And His Stance On The Injustices In The USA,” Lee said in a separate Twitter post.Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers signal caller, remains unemployed a month before the start of the regular season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe Seattle Seahawks are the only team that has hosted Kaepernick since he opted out of his contract with the 49ers and became a free agent.Lee and others have suggested that teams are avoiding Kaepernick, who was 2-10 as a starter with the 49ers last season, because of his anthem protest. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell denied this month that Kaepernick was being “blackballed” but Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin said last week that he believes NFL owners are “trying to send a message” by not signing Kaepernick.“It’s frustrating because you want to have guys who are willing to speak out about things that they believe in, whether you agree with it or not,” Baldwin told ESPN.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo MOST READ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Malaysia urges Indonesia to keep a lid on haze ahead of SEA Games View comments
Addressing the setting of the Council earlier in the day, Mayor of Kingston, Senator Councillor Delroy Williams, said the prohibition is a temporary measure and is being implemented to regulate the use of the areas. Story Highlights Representatives from the Kingston and St. Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) will be meeting with party promoters on Tuesday (April 9) regarding the decision to ban the staging of entertainment events at parking lots in New Kingston. He noted that in some instances, persons use the parking lots without the requisite amusement approvals or authorisation from the municipality. Representatives from the Kingston and St. Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) will be meeting with party promoters on Tuesday (April 9) regarding the decision to ban the staging of entertainment events at parking lots in New Kingston.Addressing the setting of the Council earlier in the day, Mayor of Kingston, Senator Councillor Delroy Williams, said the prohibition is a temporary measure and is being implemented to regulate the use of the areas.He noted that in some instances, persons use the parking lots without the requisite amusement approvals or authorisation from the municipality.“We will continue to support the creative industries but must do so with order. We have to ensure that there is a standard and protocols established for dealing with the use and clean-up. We have to establish conditions, and the promoters have to agree to that… and abide by what they agree to (or) we just can’t do it,” he said.Senator Williams said that the objective of the municipality is to bring order to the process and ensure effective monitoring of the parking lots, especially on weekends.“There is no 24-hour security at the parking lots, so people just turn up like a Saturday night or Sunday night and they use the parking lot for an event and we wake Monday morning to hear that an event was held,” he pointed out.“It’s generally an order issue, so it is (the) clean-up issue. It’s also the time when you do it, and that you are adhering to said times… . It is an issue of structure and order. We have to do these things but do it in a particular way that takes into consideration all the different factors,” he added.Senator Williams said after the meeting, “I’m very sure that we will have a structure to move forward; a structure that is agreed to by all.”The temporary prohibition was announced recently by the municipality.