Renewables produced record 33% of U.K. electricity in third quarter

first_imgRenewables produced record 33% of U.K. electricity in third quarter FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Guardian:Almost a third of the UK’s electricity came from renewable sources between July and September, as wind turbines and solar panels helped achieve a quarterly record for green energy. Major new offshore windfarms connecting to the grid pushed renewables to 33.1% of electricity generation across the quarter, up from 30% the year before.The speed at which green energy projects are being installed has resulted in records tumbling this year. Wind power broke records during the “beast from the east”, which was eclipsed during Storm Diana last month, and again this week when wind generation hit 15GW on Tuesday.The trend is expected to continue next year as more windfarms around the coast near completion. Initial analysis of some recently built offshore projects also shows they are generating more power than expected.Meanwhile, gas and coal slumped to a new low of just over 41.1%, according to official statistics published on Thursday.Low carbon sources of power, which include the country’s eight nuclear power stations, account for 56% of the UK’s electricity supply. The 50% mark was hit only two years ago.More: New offshore windfarms push UK renewables to recordlast_img read more

Sperm containing virus raises small risk of COVID-19 spread via sex: Study

first_imgAllan Pacey, a professor of andrology at Britain’s Sheffield University, said the studies should not be seen as conclusive, since there were some technical difficulties in testing semen for viruses. He said the presence of SARS-CoV-2 in sperm did not show whether it is active and capable of causing infection.”However, we should not be surprised if the virus which causes COVID-19 is found in the semen of some men, since this has been shown with many other viruses such as Ebola and Zika,” he said.Sheena Lewis, a professor of reproductive medicine at Queen’s University Belfast, stressed that this was a “very small study” and said its findings were in keeping with other small studies showing low or no SARS-CoV-2 in tests of semen samples.”However, the long-term effects of SARS-CoV-2 on male reproduction are not yet known,” she said. Chinese researchers who tested sperm of men infected with COVID-19 found that a minority of them had the new coronavirus in their semen, opening up a small chance the disease could be transmitted sexually, scientists said on Thursday.A study by doctors at China’s Shangqiu Municipal Hospital of 38 men hospitalized with the disease found that six of them, or 16%, tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 in their semen.The researchers said that while the findings were preliminary and based on only a small number of infected men, more research is needed to see whether sexual transmission might play a role in the spreading COVID-19 pandemic. Topics :center_img “Further studies are required with respect to the detailed information about virus shedding, survival time and concentration in semen,” the team wrote in a study published in JAMA Network Open.”If it could be proved that SARS-CoV-2 can be transmitted sexually … [that] might be a critical part of the prevention,” they said, “especially considering the fact that SARS-CoV-2 was detected in the semen of recovering patients.”Independent experts said the findings were interesting but should be viewed with caution and in the context of other small studies that have not found the new coronavirus in sperm.A previous small study of 12 COVID-19 patients in China in February and March found that all of them tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 in semen samples.last_img read more

All India Football Federation (AIFF) must respect Indian Olympic Association (IOA)’s decision of not sending teams to Asiad, says Syed Nayeemuddin

first_imgKolkata, July 26: Former Indian football team captain and Dronacharya awardee coach Syed Nayeemuddin on Thursday said the All India Football Federation (AIFF) should “respect” the Indian Olympic Association’s (IOA) decision not to allow the national football team to participate in the coming Asian Games.”They must be having some problem for that reason they are not allowing,” Nayeemuddin told IANS on the sidelines of an event at the Calcutta Sports Journalists’ Club here.The AIFF, football’s parent body in the country, has expressed resentment over IOA’s snub at its executive committee meeting in Mumbai.The IOA, earlier this month, omitted the men and women’s football teams from the Asian Games contingent, stating they don’t stand a chance to win medals in the continental event to be held in Indonesian twin cities of Jakarta and Palembang.”The IOA must be thinking differently,” Nayeemuddin said when asked about the snub, despite India’s recent good showing under coach Stephen Constantine.”They want athletes to go there and become champions. We have to respect the decision. We have to take it sportingly,” said Nayeemuddin, who also at various points of time coached city soccer heavyweights Mohun Bagan, East Bengal and Mohammedan Sporting.Nayeemuddin, who captained the Indian team to the bronze in the 1970 Asian Games, said present national squad skipper Sunil Chhetri and his boys should do well in the Asian Cup next year.”I think they will do well. We have a lot of expectations from them and I hope they will do well,” said the Arjuna awardee.Nayeemuddin, though, criticised the authorities for failing to give enough exposure to Indian coaches, and went to the extent of saying that though Constantine was good, he would like to see someone from the country guide the national team.”He is doing well and I respect him but my question is, why not our own coaches? We should give our coaches ample opportunity,” Nayeemuddin said. IANSlast_img read more

PSC list several concerns regarding Budget 2019

first_img– expresses worry over impact on foreign reservesAlthough the Private Sector was part of the consultation process which helped to shape Budget 2019, its umbrella organisation, the Private Sector Commission (PSC), has listed a number of issues it has with the coalition Government’s annual financial blueprint for the country.The Commission said in a statement on Tuesday that it was mainly concerned about the level of proposed overall tax revenue on businesses and individuals as Budget 2019 projects a 9.9 per cent increase in revenue, while the economy is projected to grow by 4.6 per cent. “Most importantly, there is no provision for reliefPSC Chairman Desmond Searson energy costs, which are stifling businesses,” it said.However, the PSC recalled that it had recommended the gradual lowering of the Corporation Tax over a period of 10 years to 20 per cent. “The PSC is, therefore, pleased at the reduction to 25 per cent which was announced for 2019 and signals a commitment to this mutual goal.”Further, the PSC said it was cognisant of the need to incentivise the manufacturing sector and had hoped that given the large input of the services sector to Guyana’s Gross Domestic Product, thought would have been given to reducing the tax rate for commercial businesses from the draconian 40 per cent as this is having an adverse effect on legitimate businesses.“Worrying too is the impact of Budget 2019 upon the foreign reserves of the Central Bank; an impact that does not appear to have taken cognisance of the need to cushion against external shocks to which the country and its currency are vulnerable,” the statement added.Nevertheless, the PSC said it was pleased that Budget 2019 contained several measures such as the raising of the tax threshold, which it had proposed for the relief of the tax burden upon employees, and the monies earmarked for hinterland airstrips.The PSC said it was also pleased that plans have been announced for the construction of the Linden-Lethem road which it said will ease the woes of businesses and residents which depend on that area for their livelihood. “The direFinance Minister Winston Jordonneed for the East Bank road, which had been proposed by the Commission, has also been addressed and the Commission is heartened that the development of modern Port Georgetown is being addressed.” The PSC also was pleased with provisions for the differently-abled, a demographic which was often neglected.Following the Budget presentation on Monday, Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI) Executive Director Richard Rambarran said that although The Private Sector was happy to see some money going back into the hands of consumers, it was extremely disappointed that the Government has made no move to remove or reduce the excise tax on fuel.He explained that in 2018, fuel has had a rehabilitating effect on the Private Sector, because it was multipurpose. He noted that it was not only used in manufacturing, but in every other aspect of business. “It is used in distribution, it is used in just about every single aspect of the production and distribution line; and as such, there should be something, or there should have been something, which addresses fuel costs,” he noted.Rambarran further related that the Government needed to be more serious about the development of a green economy, and not just talk about developing a green economy. He noted the lack of advancement in this area despite the Government repeatedly talking about the Green State Development Strategy.The GCCI Executive Director also noted that the current budget presented needed to be taken within the current context of Guyana, since, according to the 2018 numbers, there has been minimal growth in a number of sectors and sub-sectors, as well as contraction in a few. However, he said that they were pleased with the measures identified which would ultimately put money back into the hands of the consumers as well as the Private Sector.On the issue of tax reduction, he explained that the Private Sector was somewhat pleased with some of the reductions identified, but reminded that the decreases were not across-the-board.Guyana’s Private Sector bodies have been calling on Government to cushion the effect of the excise tax on fuel prices, which affect every aspect of their businesses.last_img read more

DONEGAL MAN IS MUGGED AND DUMPED FOR DEAD IN AMSTERDAM CANAL

first_imgA Co Donegal man is lucky to be alive after he was attacked and thrown into a canal in Amsterdam.Ronan Kennedy from Killybegs who is lucky to be alive.Ronan Kennedy, from Killybegs, was visiting The Netherlands, when the terrifying experience happened last night.Ronan, 27, was left for dead after being mugged and dumped in the freezing waters of the Dutch capital The woodwork teacher, who now lives in Melbourne, Australia, was only saved when a passer-by dragged him out of the water and resuscitated him.He was later cared for by the emergency services who arrived on the scene within minutes.Ronan said himself that he is lucky to be alive.“I couldn’t get out myself and it was so cold that I didn’t last long. To the Dutch person who dragged me out of the canal and resuscitated me, I owe you my life.” He was treated overnight in hospital but has since been released without any serious injuries.Ronan is leaving Amsterdam tomorrow and is expected to arrive back in Australia on Friday.  DONEGAL MAN IS MUGGED AND DUMPED FOR DEAD IN AMSTERDAM CANAL was last modified: January 21st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:AmsterdamCANALdonegalhospitalKillybegsmuggedrobbedRonan Kennedylast_img read more