Alexis Sanchez unlikely to play again in 2018: Jose Mourinho

first_imgManchester United boss Jose Mourinho said on Friday Alexis Sanchez is likely to face a long spell on the sidelines, saying the Chilean forward suffered an “aggressive muscular injury” during training.Sanchez, who has struggled at United this season, scoring one goal in 12 appearances in all competitions so far, has not had a scan yet but the Portuguese tactician is fearing the 29-year-old might not play for the Red Devils again in 2018.”No scans yet. But the player is experienced, the player knows what the injury is,” Mourinho said ahead of his team’s trip to face Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday.”Also, from the top of my experience, just the painful scream and the way the injury happened, I know it’s going to be for a long time.”Mourinho said Sanchez’s injury was more severe than the hamstring problem sustained by centre back Victor Lindelof against Crystal Palace on Saturday, which is expected to keep the Sweden international out of action until Christmas.”It’s not the little muscular injury that in one week or 10 days the player is ready, for me and also for Alexis, the feeling before the scans is that the grade is different than the [Victor] Lindelof one and the Lindelof one was not an easy one.”I think Alexis has what I used to call an aggressive muscular injury… I don’t want to risk by saying for how long he will be out but from my experience I would say he will not play this year.”advertisementSanchez last started in their Champions League victory at Juventus on November 7 and came off the bench in subsequent league games against Manchester City and Crystal Palace before being dropped from the squad for Tuesday’s Champions League win over Young Boys.Want to close the gap to the top four: Mourinho United are seventh in the Premier League with 21 points from 13 games ahead of the trip to Southampton’s St Mary’s Stadium and Mourinho says his side need more consistency if they are to close the gap to the top four.”We want to improve our position in the table, we want to close the gap to the top four, we want to be smelling these positions, if not there then just behind then just smelling for the second part of the season,” he added.(With AP inputs) Also Read | Watch Jose Mourinho’s bottle-smashing reaction to Fellaini winner vs Young BoysAlso Read | Champions League: Manchester City, Real Madrid secure knockout berthslast_img read more

TFA ANNOUNCES NEW SPONSORSHIP DEAL

first_imgTouch Football Australia is pleased to announce a new sponsorship deal with Sportscover, the worlds leading sports insurance underwriters.The partnership will see Sportscover become the major sponsor of TFA referees and an Official Supporter of TFA National teams.They will be providing an annual scholarship for referees for the value of $2000.The agreement is a great step forward in providing another financial avenue for the development and growth of all aspects of Touch.Sportscover Chief Executive Officer, Murray Anderson is confident the partnership will be a positive one.“We are delighted to be involved with Touch Football Australia, and over the next three years look forward to supporting not only the referees, but all TFA members around Australia.”last_img read more

a month agoSevilla boss Julen Lopetegui: Chicharito will improve

first_imgSevilla boss Julen Lopetegui: Chicharito will improveby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveSevilla boss Julen Lopetegui says Javier Hernandez will improve after making his debut in victory over Alaves.The former West Ham striker came on as a second-half substitute.Lopetegui said, “In the moment in which he entered the game, he had to take advantage of the spaces.”It wasn’t difficult, he tried and he has to continue doing what the team is asking for.”A first-half goal from Joan Jordan was enough to give Sevilla their third win out of four matches. About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Alaska fashion show changes theme after airline objects

first_imgJUNEAU, Alaska — The Juneau Arts and Humanities Council has changed the theme of its annual fashion show following a complaint by Alaska Airlines.The Juneau Empire reports the Wearable Art show scheduled for mid-February in Alaska’s capital changed its theme of turbulence to tailwind.The Seattle-based airline, a sponsor of the event, suggested the change, citing the word’s negative connection to air travel.Council executive director Nancy DeCherney says board members and the airline felt the theme change was a positive decision.DeCherney says the art pieces for the show are not required to match the theme, noting there will probably be items still referencing turbulence.___Information from: Juneau (Alaska) Empire, http://www.juneauempire.comThe Associated Presslast_img read more

Fort St John RCMP pull over vehicle and find a sawedoff shotgun

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John RCMP pulled over a vehicle with a burnt out taillight and then found a sawed-off shotgun, crack cocaine, powder cocaine and methamphetamine.On June 1, 2019, at 2:45 a.m., Cpl. Charron noticed a vehicle near 100 street and 100 avenue with a burnt out brake light.  The RCMP member pulled over the vehicle and spoke with the three occupants and observed what he believed to be cocaine on the front passenger floor of the car.All three occupants were arrested for possession of a scheduled substance, and more RCMP members were called to assist with the arrest.  When officers searched the vehicle, they found a loaded sawed-off shotgun with ammunition in the area where the rear a female passenger had been sitting. Officers also located what they believed to be crack cocaine, powder cocaine and methamphetamine. The risk to frontline officers personal safety is always a reality said Cst Chad Neustaeter. Traffic stops can often turn into something more serious and the actions of our officers to get drugs and guns off our streets needs to be applauded.All three occupants were released without process, to attend court at a later datelast_img read more

Saina Sameer look to put behind All England disappointment at Swiss Open

first_imgBasel (Switzerland): Two-time winner Saina Nehwal and defending champion Sameer Verma will look to shrug off their All England disappointment when they spearhead India’s campaign at the Swiss Open, starting with the qualifiers here Tuesday. For Sameer, this event started his journey that culminated into a World Tour Final semifinal finish last year and a career-high ranking of 11. He had defeated newly-crowned All England Champion Kento Momota in the quarterfinals, a few months before the Japanese went on to become the world no 1 and world champion last year. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football together World no 14 Sameer will be opening his campaign in USD 150,000 event against a qualifier after his elder brother Sourabh, who had also battled injuries on his way to becoming the Senior National Champion last month at Guwahati, pulled out of the tournament. Sameer might face fellow Indian B Sai Praneeth in the second round and a favourable result is likely to hand him over the chance to settle scores with former world no 1 Viktor Axelsen, who had defeated him in the first round of All England Championships in Birmingham last week. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open The BWF World Tour Super 300 event will be Saina’s fourth outing this season, having won the Indonesia Masters before losing in the semifinals and quarterfinals at Malaysia Masters and All England Championship respectively. A bout of diarrhea had affected her performance last week at Birmingham and Saina would look to recover quickly before she begins her campaign against a qualifier, eying to secure her third title at Swiss. She had won the event in 2011 and 2012 in the past. Seeded third, Saina is expected to face second seeded He Bingjiao of China in the semifinals if the results fall in her favour. Among other Indians in fray, Saina’s husband and fellow shuttler, Parupalli Kashyap, a former Commonwealth Games champion, will face a qualifier, Praneeth will meet England’s Rajiv Ouseph and SaarLorLux Open champion Subhankar Dey will also take on a qualifier in first round. In women’s singles, Vaishnavi Jakka Reddy will be the only other Indian in the competition. She will square off against Estonia’s Kristin Kuuba. In men’s doubles, Arjun MR and Ramchandran Shlok and Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy will also eye their chances, while Commonwealth Games bronze medallists Ashwini Ponnappa and N Sikki Reddy will lead India’s challenge in the women’s doubles. Pooja Dandu and Sanjana Santosh will also look for a good outing in the women’s doubles. In mixed doubles, Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Sikki will be the prime contenders for India, while Arjun MR and Maneesha K and Dhruv Kapila and Kuhoo Garg will also be in the fray. In the qualifiers, Riya Mookerjee and Vrushali Gummadi will be in the fray.last_img read more

India activates strategic ITBP command from JK

first_imgNew Delhi: India operationalised its strategic ITBP command in Jammu and Kashmir’s Leh-Ladakh district on Monday after moving it from Chandigarh as part of a plan to counter the ever-increasing Chinese military buildup in the region. The North West frontier of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), tasked to guard the 3,488-km long Sino-India border in peace times, is headed by an Inspector General (IG) of Police-rank officer, which is equivalent to a Major General in the Army. “We are operational from the Ladakh region beginning April 1 and the force headquarters in Delhi has been informed,” ITBP IG Arvind Kumar told PTI from Leh. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The Indian tricolour and the force flag were unfurled to herald the new move and the frontier will be operating from the existing premises of the ITBP sector headquarter, another official said. Sanctions have been received to create more buildings and logistics for the new command and Director General (DG) S S Deswal, the force chief, is expected to visit the formation soon. The PTI had first reported in January that the frontier has been ordered to move from its base in Chandigarh ‘lock, stock, and barrel’ to be operationalised at the new location from April 1. The distance between Chandigarh and Leh is 960 km. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KLeh district in the mountains of Jammu and Kashmir is the base for the 14 Corps of the Army headed by a Lt General-rank officer and the new shift will allow a better interaction between the two forces “for strategic and defence planning”, the official operations blueprint had said. The Army, which carved out a separate Corps in Leh after Jammu and Srinagar following the Kargil intrusion in 1999, has been demanding operational control over the ITBP.last_img read more

Wichita States Strength of Schedule Isnt the Problem

1981Oregon State19.84.0Round of 32 1998Princeton11.3-4.8Round of 32 2008Memphis23.14.0Final 1996Texas Tech14.40.8Sweet Sixteen 1980DePaul14.34.2Round of 32 2012Syracuse21.37.2Elite Eight 1988Temple18.22.1Elite Eight 2004Stanford17.64.4Round of 32 1991UNLV31.62.7Final Four 2014Wichita State16.71.6TBD 2005Illinois24.47.4Final 1986Bradley9.51.9Round of 32 1984North Carolina24.58.4Sweet Sixteen 2012Murray State8.3-3.5Round of 32 1996Massachusetts20.68.1Final Four 2012Kentucky24.56.9Champion 1996Kentucky31.49.2Champion 1982DePaul15.22.5Round of 32 Wichita State — with 34 wins and zero losses heading into the men’s NCAA basketball tournament — is six wins from becoming the first undefeated champion since Indiana in 1976. But apparently perfect isn’t good enough. Critics have pointed to the team’s soft schedule and argued that the next six wins will be much harder to come by than the first 34, even though the selection committee awarded the Shockers the No. 1 seed in the Midwest region.This critique of Wichita State’s achievements is unfair. The Shockers’ real problem isn’t whom they played, it’s how much they won by. The team didn’t dominate its opponents enough to make up for the weakness of its schedule relative to those of big-conference rivals.The evidence against Wichita State’s credentials goes like this: It played two-thirds of its games against fellow Missouri Valley Conference teams; the conference is the 11th strongest in Division I, according to Sports-Reference.com. The Shockers’ schedule was the 129th toughest in the nation, and the weakest among the top 32 teams in Ken Pomeroy’s rankings.Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall reasonably responded, after winning No. 34: “We’re not flawless. Our record is flawless.”Indeed, no team is flawless, but Wichita State approached that impossible standard more closely than most do. Its schedule strength was inherently limited by its conference, yet it holds up well compared to other teams with records nearly as spotless.I looked at every Division I team since 1980 that entered its conference tournaments with either one or zero losses — 25 teams in all. I used Sports Reference’s Simple Rating System (SRS) to estimate each team’s strength at the end of the season, as well as the site’s strength of schedule (SOS) ratings to analyze each team’s schedule. I then subtracted from those figures each team’s performance in the NCAA tournament to get its pre-tournament ratings. The Shockers’ accomplishment looks impressive even after considering schedule strength. Six of the 25 teams had weaker schedules than Wichita State’s, but just one managed to match its undefeated feat: UNLV in 1990-91. And the Runnin’ Rebels’ schedule was just barely tougher than Wichita State’s this year, by a slender margin of 1.1 points per game.This rosy take on Wichita State doesn’t make its task any easier in the tournament. Just eight of those 25 teams reached the Final Four, and only two won the title: Kentucky in 1996 and again two years ago. Moreover, all eight Final Four teams entered the tournament with an SRS above 20; Wichita State’s is 16.7. The Shockers outscored their opponents by 15 points per game — good but not impressive enough against its schedule to look like a championship contender. Their projected Sweet Sixteen opponent, Louisville, has an SRS of 25.3 and outscored opponents on its relatively tough schedule by 21 points per game.This isn’t to say the Shockers can’t win it all. They can. But if you’re looking for a reason to doubt them, their margin of victory is a better cause than their schedule. 1987UNLV23.15.3Final Four YearTeamSRSSOSFinished 1999Duke35.19.7Final 1990La Salle13.1-2.2Round of 32 1981DePaul15.92.6Round of 32 2006George Washington9.6-1.4Round of 32 1980Alcorn State11.0-6.3Round of 32 1997Kansas27.68.0Sweet Sixteen 2004St. Joseph’s20.23.9Elite Eight read more

West Ham considering move for Jonjo Shelvey

first_imgWest Ham United are reportedly considering a move for Newcastle United midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, according to Sports Mole.The former Liverpool midfielder is currently nursing a thigh injury and has featured only 10 times for the Magpies this season.Despite the lack of match opportunities at the St James’ Park this season, reports in the English press claims that the 26-year-old has attracted interest from Premier League rivals West Ham.Manuel Pellegrini is believed to be a keen admirer of Shelvey and would relish the opportunity to bring the England international to the London Stadium this month.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.However, Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez will not sanction Shelvey’s sale unless a suitable replacement is acquired by the club.West Ham have already completed the signing of free agent Samir Nasri on a short-term deal, with the former Manchester City playmaker impressing during an hour display against Birmingham City in the FA Cup last season.last_img read more

HEA Crews Responding To Large Power Outage In KenaiSoldotna

first_imgAccording to Bruce Shelley with HEA, the outage is affecting members from Beaver Creek down the Kenai Spur Highway towards Soldotna. The cause at this time is unknown. HEA crews are working to restore power to the effective members. Refresh for updates as they are made available. If you are without power at this time, please call 1-888-8OUTAGE.center_img Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Homer Electric crews are responding to a power outage effecting members in the Soldotna/Kenai area.last_img read more