Social media fuels vicious attacks on young teens

first_img Previous articleNew Music: Post Punk Podge & The TechnohippiesNext articleListen: The Last Post with Andrew Carey February 02, 2019 Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Print Background photo created by jcomp – www.freepik.comA SINISTER new Snapchat group, who upload videos of its members beating up unsuspecting teenagers, has been uncovered in Limerick.Gardaí are investigating the group after Meelick school teacher and local councillor Cathal Crowe (FF) was contacted by distressed parents.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “I joined the group to see what was going on and I was appalled. There are videos of one-on-one fights between teenagers in Limerick school uniforms. That’s bad enough but the really horrible videos are ones where innocent teenagers are attacked and viciously beaten.“The worst one I saw was a child of about 12  engrossed in a PlayStation game when another boy came from behind and started punching him. Then when he slumped down in the chair, he was repeatedly kicked in the head.Cllr Cathal CroweMany of the participants are wearing LImerick school uniforms and some are wearing uniforms of schools in South Clare.Landmarks including shops and Thomond Park, identify the group as being from the locality.“These are vicious attacks and the blows I’ve see I would describe as knock-out blows. In every case where someone is punched they end up on the ground”.Cllr Crowe said that, apart from the physical hurt these attacks cause, “there is the shame and humiliation for the victim of having it posted on social media and it being seen by hundreds of their peers because there are several hundred in this group.The ones I have seen on-screen are aged between about 12 and 15.Some of the unprovoked attacks happen as teens are coming out of youth clubs and discos.Cllr Crowe was himself the victim of an unprovoked attack in the city in his first year in college, he told the Limerick Post.“I had to lick my physical wounds after that and it was terrible but I can’t imagine how I would feel if the whole thing had been filmed and put on social media.  As a teacher and a parent, I’m very concerned about the psychological effects of that”.Cllr Crowe confirmed that he made an official complaint to the Gardaí.“I was told that a number of parents have also made complaints and the Gardaí are investigating. Most of the people who feature in these videos make no effort at all to hide their identities. One of their victims was a lad I know”.He said hat while the page could be closed down and the group disbanded, this is not the answer to the problem.“It would be easy to set another page up under another name. We need legislation to control this kind of activity and that’s what I’ll be pushing for,” he declared.The Limerick Post is withholding the name of the group so as not to promote further violence. Facebook Twitter NewsCommunityCrime & CourtPoliticsSocial media fuels vicious attacks on young teensBy Bernie English – January 31, 2019 821 center_img WhatsApp Linkedin Advertisement Emaillast_img read more

HUD’s Carson: ‘We Know How to End Homelessness’

first_imgHome / Daily Dose / HUD’s Carson: ‘We Know How to End Homelessness’ The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Share Save The Department of Housing and Urban Development on Thursday announced an award of $2 billion in support of thousands of local housing and service programs across the U.S. This year’s installment of the annual HUD Continuum of Care grants will assist more than 7,300 local programs working to house and serve individuals and families experiencing homelessness in their communities.According to a HUD media statement, “HUD’s Continuum of Care grants provide critically needed support to local programs on the front lines of serving individuals and families experiencing homelessness.”HUD Secretary Ben Carson said, “HUD stands with our local partners who are working each and every day to house and serve our most vulnerable neighbors. We know how to end homelessness and it starts with embracing a housing-first approach that relies upon proven strategies that offer permanent housing solutions to those who may otherwise be living in our shelters and on our streets.”Secretary Carson added that working to house the homeless is both the “human thing to do” and “good public policy.”Matthew Doherty, Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness, said, “Continuums of Care are critical leaders in the work to end homelessness nationwide. When communities marshal these—and other local, state, private, and philanthropic resources—behind the strongest housing-first practices, we see important progress in our collective goal to end homelessness in America.”According to HUD, “HUD Continuum of Care grant funding supports a broad array of interventions designed to assist individuals and families experiencing homelessness, particularly those living in places not meant for habitation, located in sheltering programs, or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.”California topped the list of state and local programs being funded by the grants, with 900 programs being funded for a total of $382,566,777. Behind California comes New York (579 programs and $200 million in funding), Illinois (418 programs and $109 million in funding), Pennsylvania (519 programs and $102 million in funding), and Ohio (316 programs and $95 million in funding). You can see the full details of the projects awarded funding by clicking here.HUD noted that application deadlines for programs located in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands had been extended until February 16, 2018, due to the hurricane recovery efforts still underway in those regions. Those grants will be allocated separately from today’s announced $2 billion in funding and are due to be announced sometime in mid-March.According to HUD estimates released in December 2017, 553,742 people experience homelessness in America on any given night. Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Ben Carson Continuum of Care Program Department of Housing and Urban Development Grants Homelessness HUD 2018-01-11 David Wharton in Daily Dose, Featured, Government, Journal, News Tagged with: Ben Carson Continuum of Care Program Department of Housing and Urban Development Grants Homelessness HUD HUD’s Carson: ‘We Know How to End Homelessness’ Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Related Articles Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago  Print This Post Previous: Can Homebuyers Get Better Government Loan Modifications? Next: Disaster Playbook The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago January 11, 2018 7,815 Views About Author: David Wharton Subscribelast_img read more