News News MexicoAmericas News Reports May 13, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Follow the news on Mexico MexicoAmericas Organisation Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state May 5, 2021 Find out more June 26, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist gunned down in Chihuahua state amid wave of violent crime April 28, 2021 Find out more NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Reporters Without Borders is shocked by a wave of violence in the northern state of Chihuahua that has cost the life of Candelario Pérez Pérez, a 32-year-old journalist who worked as an editor on his father’s crime magazine, Sucesos. Pérez was gunned down in the border town of Ciudad Juárez on 23 June. The motive is not yet known.“So far there is no evidence of a link to his journalistic work, but Pérez’s murder comes amid a wave of attacks and threats against journalists in recent months in regions adjoining the US border, especially Chihuahua state,” the press freedom organisation said. “The federal government’s war on the drug cartels and the cartels’ cruel reprisals are fuelling concern about the safety of journalists and the future of the entire profession.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We are aware that it will take time to contain organised crime, whose ascendancy in Mexico is considerable. The fight against impunity needs real cooperation between the federal authorities and state governments.”Pérez was on his way to visit relatives in a Chevrolet Silverado with Texas licence plates when he was shot and killed at about 7:30 p.m. by men armed with AK-47 assault rifles in a dark-coloured pickup. Investigators found about 15 impacts from 9 mm bullets. The victim’s father, Sucesos publisher Candelario Pérez Rodríguez, told journalists that his son got into an argument in a bar shortly before the shooting and that another car followed him when he left. He also said his son sold used cars as well as working as a journalist.Sucesos is a local crime magazine that Pérez Rodríguez founded 30 years ago. It is published irregularly and has not appeared for the past two months because Pérez Rodríguez has been in poor health. His son had worked for it for 15 years as a reporter and editor.Chihuahua state is rife with contraband and drug trafficking and is one of the most dangerous regions in Mexico, with more than 500 violent deaths since the start of the year. RSF_en to go further Reporters Without Borders urges the federal authorities and state governments to work together in the fight against impunity after journalist Candelario Pérez Pérez of the crime magazine Sucesos was gunned down in the border state of Chihuahua on 23 June. The motive is not yet known.
Homepage BannerNews Google+ By admin – December 3, 2016 Pinterest Andrew McGinley says his children are getting him through life Facebook Pinterest Donegal retains 14 Blue Flags, Lisfannon is not restored Facebook Donegal Deputy believes Failte Ireland must build on Donegal’s increasing profile Hospitalisations rise as Donnelly suggests masks will stay ’til autumn Google+ Previous articleDonegal County Councillor Ciaran Brogan convicted of drink drivingNext articleFarmer convicted for a polluting discharge to a waterway admin Donegal Deputy Charlie McConalogue Fianna Fáil believes Failte Ireland must build on Donegal’s increasing profile and invest in tourism initiatives in the county.It comes after Donegal topped National Geographic Traveller’s Cool List for 2017.Donegal Deputy Charlie McConalogue Fianna Fáil believes Failte Ireland must build on Donegal’s increasing profile and invest in tourism initiatives in the county.It comes after Donegal topped National Geographic Traveller’s Cool List for 2017.In a statement, Deputy McConalogue said that Donegal is a county with something for everyone and over the past number of years, with the development of the Wild Atlantic Way, more and more people are discovering what Donegal has to offer.He believed that being named the coolest place on the planet by National Geographic Traveller is a major coup and presents an opportunity to build on the already solid reputation that the county has, both at home and abroad.He is encouraging Fáilte Ireland to put a renewed focus on Donegal to capitalise on the prestigious accolade.Deputy McConalogue concluded by saying while there has been investment in the past, this should be increased and a real effort made to boost the county’s profile and appeal.He stated that tourism is an incredibly important industry here and recognition like the Cool List should not be let pass without an attempt to build on the progress made to date. WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Today is the 30th anniversary of Eddie Fullerton’s murder Gardai investigate Castlefinn burglary WhatsApp Twitter Disruption to cancer service will increase mortality – Oncologist Twitter