2021南京喝茶服务

Authorities take a month to react to death threats against environmental journalist

first_img News July 7, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Authorities take a month to react to death threats against environmental journalist Follow the news on Brazil April 15, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information to go further Reporters Without Borders condemns the sluggish reaction of the police in Niterói (in Rio de Janeiro state) to repeated death threats against environmentalist Vilmar Berna (photo), the editor of the Jornal do Meio Ambiente daily newspaper. The police took more than a month to pass his complaint on to the local judicial authorities BrazilAmericas April 27, 2021 Find out more Alarm after two journalists murdered in Brazil Receive email alerts RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today condemned the sluggish reaction of the police in Niterói (in Rio de Janeiro state) to a complaint about repeated death threats and intimidation which journalist and environmentalist Vilmar Berna filed on 7 June and which was not passed on to the local judicial authorities until 5 July.“The authorities did not take the case seriously until a national newspaper ran an article about it,” the press freedom organisation said. “Yet Berna is a recognised specialist in environmental issues who had already been threatened in the past and even had to leave Niterói twice. How is it that the police and judicial authorities reacted so slowly although they had to be aware of the case?”Reporters Without Borders added: “As well as a judicial investigation, we call for an administrative investigation to establish exactly how these breaches of procedures occurred.”The editor of a daily newspaper about the environment called the Jornal do Meio Ambiente, which has a magazine (Revista do Meio Ambiente) and a website (Portal do Meio Ambiente), Berna also helped found Rebia, the Brazilian Environmental News Network. He covers water pollution, illegal fishing and threats to protected marine fauna in Rio de Janeiro bay. It was Berna who revealed that fishermen were using fine-mesh nets that are banned.A blood-stained, partially-charred body was left outside his home in Niterói at the beginning of May. Since then, he has been threatened repeatedly. He received many anonymous phone calls from a woman warning him that he would soon be killed. A friend told him he had heard that preparations were under way to beat him to death and throw his body in the sea. Then, six men forced their way into his home on the night of 27 May and threatened him.After filing a complaint with the Niterói police on 7 June, Berna hired two bodyguards to protect his home. But he subsequently had to let them go because he did not have enough money to keep paying them. The daily A Folha de Sao Paulo ran a story about him on 2 July and the next day he wrote to national human rights secretary Paulo de Tarso Vannuchi.Berna told Reporters Without Borders the authorities finally began to take action after the media reports about his case. His complaint was finally transferred to the local judicial authorities on 5 July, a month after he had filed it. RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America May 13, 2021 Find out more News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies BrazilAmericas News Reports Organisation last_img read more

Traffic on 210 Freeway Restored After Jacket Bomb Scare

first_img Top of the News Subscribe Business News Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Community News faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes latest #1 Traffic on 210 Freeway Restored After Jacket Bomb Scare From STAFF REPORTS Published on Wednesday, December 7, 2016 | 2:25 pm Community News More Cool Stuff Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena A massive law enforcement response to an abandoned jacket possibly rigged with explosives at the Lake Avenue Gold Line Metro Station Wednesday morning that shut down trains and the 210 Freeway for over an hour led to the arrest of the man who reportedly threw the jacket onto the freeway. Officers arrested the the suspect after he fought with Sheriff’s deputies when they tried to question him.A criminal records check showed the suspect has over $80,000 worth of standing warrants, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department said. He was located near the Gold Line Memorial Park station a short time after the freeway was reopened and is now in custody.Pasadena police officers, LASD deputies and CHP personnel close the 210 Freeway and the Metro station as the sheriff’s department’s Arson/Explosives Detail responded to investigate the report, only to find out later that the reported “device” was a harmless jacket.Ramon Montenegro, Public Information Officer for the LASD Transit Policing Division, said the department’s bomb squad has advised it was now safe to reopen the freeway.“The sheriff’s Arson/Explosive Detail (LASD’s bomb squad) has rendered it safe and the freeway has been reopened,” Montenegro said.Lt. Marc Lucio at the Transit Policing Division said the bomb squad took special care in handling the incident as they would do in all bomb threat cases.“It was a jacket, but when our explosive detection K-9 sergeant was responding to the original call, when he arrived he went and looked at the jacket, there were things that he could see in and on the jacket that caused him to call our arson and explosive detail, which is the Sheriff’s bomb squad. So that’s what prompted the closure,” Lucio said.As the bomb squad investigated the scene, other deputies looked for the man who had thrown the jacket onto the freeway to question him.“When our deputies went to the Memorial park Gold Line Station to see if they could speak to this individual, originally he was compliant, and then he began to fight with our deputies,” Lucio said. “He’s been taken into custody. There was nobody injured and a criminal records check showed he has over $80,000.00 worth of warrants. He’s obviously going to be booked on that and the obstruction, fighting with our deputies and he could face additional charges later.”Even with the freeway incident resolved, LASD officers said people should always be alert and report anything suspicious to authorities.“We’d just like to remind everybody if they see something, say something,” Montenegro said. “They can call the Sheriff’s Traffic Policing, (888) 950-SAFE (7233).”Caltrans has cancelled a Sigalert declared earlier in Pasadena because of the incident, and said all eastbound and westbound lanes have been opened as of 10 a.m.Metro has also announced train service from Lake Station of the Gold Line has been restored, although some residual delays were to be expected.center_img Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. 3 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  First Heatwave Expected Next Week Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Make a comment EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS HerbeautyHe Is Totally In Love With You If He Does These 7 ThingsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty9 Of The Best Family Friendly Dog BreedsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyThese Are 15 Great Style Tips From Asian WomenHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyPretty Or Not: 5 Things You Didn’t Know About BeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyNutritional Strategies To Ease AnxietyHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeautylast_img read more